- Buy With Confidence
- We're the ExpertsAsk us anything
- Free Ground Shipping On U.S. orders over $99
- Price Match Guarantee We match all advertised prices
- Fast & Easy Shipping No Hassle Returns made easy
Banks Power Derringer Tuner w/Switch | 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L
- Easy Install
- Loaded with Features
- Value Priced
- Destroys the competition, not your vehicle!
- ActiveSafety protects engine/powertrain
- Adds up to 61 hp and 112 lb-ft
- 3 power levels
- Interfaces with OBDII Port (On-Board Diagnostics/Information) to communicate directly with the vehicle ECU
- Emissions compliant: Pending EO coverage in California
The Banks Power Derringer Tuner for your 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L truck is dyno-calibrated to use multiple data inputs such as throttle position, rpm, vehicle speed, AFR, knock and coolant temperature, just like your engine's ECU. Its microprocessor based electronics are able to actively and safely optimize calibrations in real time.
Derringer has three switched settings: Stock, Plus and Sport. Sport produces Best in Class performance knocks you back in your seat. The Plus setting is for work use and has great mid-range feel. When running Plus with a loaded work truck and/or pulling a trailer, your on ramp merging speeds and passing times are greatly improved.
The electronics are molded into a waterproof connector, which is easily concealed and communicates using B-Bus (Banks Bus) with other devices such as our iDash 1.8 Super Gauge/Control Center. The Derringer connects in line with the Throttle Inlet Pressure (TIP) and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors. But, unlike others it also connects to the vehicle's OBDII diagnostic bus connector. A CAN (controller area network) transceiver chip communicates with OBD or B-Bus allowing our microprocessors to talk with the vehicle. And, Derringer's special coolant temp watchdog prevents power addition when the engine is too cold or overheated. The Derringer also auto-adjusts power if knock occurs due to bad fuel. Maximum safe power is all automatic with a Derringer, you just choose your setting.
How the Derringer does what it does, and why
There’s no easy way to make more power your daily driven L5P with GM’s ECU and factory turbo, no magic flash or special “chip” available. We had to go the tuner route, and making an inline tuner for yourtruck was no easy task. We have almost a thousand man-hours into Derringer development. Fortunately, we’ve been making tuners for 20 years, so we know what we’re doing.
The Derringer is a plug-and-play microcomputer designed for easy installation, it’s waterproof for convenient under hood mounting, and connects to the iDash 1.8 Super Gauge for the ultimate in information and power selection, unlocking three additional power levels.
Unlike the fixed tuning used by others, the Derringer calibration is continuously adjusting to provide you the peak possible performance under every driving condition. By utilizing the power of the OBD-II data, the tuner intelligently fine-tunes its calibration on the fly without you having to change its power level.
- Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) – The Derringer senses your engine’s EGT and intelligently modulates fueling to maintain a safe maximum EGT, protecting your turbo and engine
- Altitude compensation – The Derringer senses ambient air pressure, controlling the turbocharger to maintain added boost and power as altitude increases
- Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regen – The Derringer tuner constantly monitors your DPF regen status and will optimize its calibration to ensure the DPF regen process completes successfully
- Accelerator Pedal Monitoring – The Derringer senses accelerator pedal position to roll in additional power progressively, optimizing part-throttle fuel economy and giving max power when you ask for it
- Coolant Temperature Monitoring – The Derringer senses coolant temp to control added power. During warmup, no power is added below 120° F, then power is ramped in and fully available above 150° If the coolant overheats for any reason, the Derringer starts removing its power at 230° F and additional power is totally removed if you exceed 240° F
- Full Power Timer – If set on Sport level, the Derringer allows for 30 seconds of wide open throttle before transitioning to the recommended power level for sustained tow/haul. (Our research has shown that the stock L5P when at full power will hit 1450° EGT and after a minute or so will pull out fuel to cool things down. So, we do the same thing)
TransCommand® Active Transmission Safety System
In addition to AutoRate Adaptive Tuning, the Derringer utilizes key engine and transmission parameters to enhance shift performance and improve the longevity of your transmission. Because the competitors lack the essential OBD-II data, they always add power at wide open throttle—no matter what! This can cause excessive transmission slip, torque converter clutch slip and even 170 HP engine derates in order for the transmission to complete the shift. This harms the overall performance and degrades your transmission. The Derringer is meticulously calibrated and extensively tested to properly modulate power during shifting, optimizing performance and safety.
- Intelligent Shift Tuning – The transmission shift request signal is monitored to optimize the power level prior to the shift protecting the transmission, increasing shift speed and avoiding ECU power derates
- Boost and Fuel by Gear – Gear based calibration allows for optimum traction and performance
- Torque Converter Clutch Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts to modulate TCC slip to safe levels
- Transmission Slip Monitoring – The Derringer adjusts calibration to modulate transmission slip to safe levels
The Derringer is the only tuner on the market to include ‘Active Safety’, an active failsafe system that utilizes bypass relays to smoothly transition your vehicle to stock power levels in the event of any trouble signs in the Derringer. The system constantly monitors various parameters at over 50 times a second to ensure that everything is operating as it should. If any competitive tuners loose power or fail in any way, they will instantly trigger a “limp home” mode where all power is lost and the vehicle dangerously slows to a crawl. If the same fault condition occurs to the Derringer it will gracefully remove its additional power and return to stock power levels without a hitch.
- Internal self-diagnostics checks health of the system 50 times per second
- Monitors MAP and FRP signals for out of range condition (disconnected or short circuit)
- Watchdog timer constantly monitors CPU activity
- Active safety engages if 12-volt power is lost to the Derringer tuner
|Test Vehicle: 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually 6.6L Duramax L5P. Factory intake and exhaust. All tests run on same truck, same day, same conditions. Tested on Mustang DYNO, 10 second sweep.|
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
- Banks Power
- 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L Parts - Street Tuners & Monitors | 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L - Tuners | 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L
- Chevy/GMC Duramax Parts - 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L Parts - Street Tuners & Monitors | 2017-2018 Chevy/GMC Duramax L5P 6.6L
- Shop By Vehicle - Chips, Modules, & Tuners | Street & Competition - Street Tuners & Monitors
- Item Requires Shipping
- 3.0 lbs.
- W9.0000” x H6.0000” x L4.0000”
- Free Shipping!